METAMORA – GERMANTOWN – RIVERVIEW
9 – 11 GIRLS SOFTBALL LEAGUE RULES
1. Official IESA rules will apply unless otherwise stated below.
2. A player may substitute on a team above their age or from another team in
the same division. A player may substitute on another only once during the
3. A player may be listed on the team’s roster below her age group if the local
organization determines that she should be at that age group because of her
4. Unlimited substitution is allowed. See note 3 under teams for special rules
5. There should be no heated, verbal arguments on the field under any
circumstances. The umpire will give one warning and the second infraction
will result in forfeit of the game.
6. Once play begins, all conversations with the umpire require the presence of
both coaches. All conversations with the umpire shall be conducted by the
7. Verbal abuse of the officials, players, or coaches will not be tolerated. A
warning will be issued and any subsequent abuse will result in the offending
person being required to leave the premises. Failure to leave will result in
forfeit of the game. There will be a zero tolerance for profanity/vulgar
language. Any use of said language will result in an immediate dismissal from
the premises. This applies to players, coaches, officials, and spectators.
1. Ten players to play the field, normal infield with 4 equally spaced
2. A team must field at least 7 players or forfeit the game.
3. Pitchers are limited to 12 outs per game with one reentry. Extra innings –
anyone can pitch and reentry rule is waived.
4. All players must play at least 4 innings of defense (based on a 6 inning game).
5. No player sits more than 2 innings must get equal amount of playing time.
1. A regulation 11” RIF softball shall be used.
2. All batters and base runners will wear a batting helmet for protection.
Intentional removal of helmet during play is an automatic out per IESA
3. Catchers must wear a mask with a throat protector, chest protector, shin
guards, and protective helmet.
4. No steel spikes are allowed.
5. The home team will furnish 2 new balls.
1. All regularly scheduled games will start at 6:00 P.M. unless noted on
schedule. A team not present within 10 minutes prior to scheduled start of
the game will forfeit the game.
2. A maximum of 6 innings will be played. No new inning shall start if an inning
concludes on or after 7:45 P.M. The umpire’s watch is the official clock. For
make-up games on weekends a time limit of 1 hour and 45 minutes applies.
3. The umpire will notify both teams before the start of the final inning that
this will be the final inning.
4. A maximum of 6 runs per team shall be allowed in one inning. The 6th inning
and any inning after shall be an open inning with no limit on the number of
5. In case of rain, 4 complete innings constitute a game. Any incomplete games
are completely replayed.
6. In case of a tie at the end of the time limit, that game will finish in a tie.
7. All schedule changes, except for weather/field conditions, must be
confirmed by both coaches 48 hours in advance.
8. The field supervisor will make a decision and post it on the weather line. It is
the head coach’s responsibility to contact the visiting coach by 4:30 P.M. to
play or call a game due to wet grounds or weather.
9. Home team will have batting practice at 5:30 P.M. Visitors will have batting
practice at 5:45 P.M.
1. The pitching distance will be 35 feet.
2. The base distance will be 50 feet.
1. All players in attendance will bat. They must stay in the order listed on the
roster regardless of whether or not they play in the field (no designated
2. No changes will be made in the starting batting order after the game has
started. When adding a late arriving player, add to the bottom of the order.
3. Any player batting out of order is automatically out. However an injured
player may be removed from the game, their turn at bat skipped without
penalty, and then return later in their original batting order.
4. Bunting is allowed.
5. The infield fly rule will not be applied.
6. No dropped 3rd strike, but please try to teach this for they will play it when
they move up. This will allow them to get some prior knowledge of this rule.
7. It will take 4 balls to walk the batter but when the bases are loaded, 5 balls
are required to walk the batter unless they are hit by a pitch.
8. The strike zone will be from the bottom of the knees to the batter’s chin.
The width of the strike zone shall be the plate plus and added width equal to
the ball on both sides of the plate.
9. No backward motion is allowed by the pitcher (stepping back) all motion is
1. Shorts or pants.
2. No steel spikes.
3. Provided jersey and hat/visor.
1. No base stealing is allowed. Runners may not leave/lead off until the ball
passes the batter.
2. Sliding is allowed. In fact players are required to slide per IESA rules to
3. No one may advance to the next base once the pitcher has the ball in the
area of the pitcher’s mound.
1. The home team’s association shall supply a home plate umpire and a base
umpire. If the association is not able to supply a base umpire the coaches
will share the base umpire duties.
Click here to signup.